Dramatically Cut Your Stress !
Yesterday was National Stress Awareness Day in the United States. ( It probably has something to do with taxes being due.) And April is Stress Awareness month. There’s no better time to tackle stress, which is still rampant. Over $300 billion is lost annually in American business due to stress, in terms of poor productivity, absences and illness. Over 80% of all doctors’ visits are due to stress. So what can you do to cut your stress?
5 Out of the Box Ways to Reduce Stress
1. Flowers in the workplace benefit everyone! Women who receive flowers unexpectedly are happier, even 3days later. Women with flowers have less anxiety and and are more innovative at work, whether the flowers were sent to them or not! (Health.com)
2. Listening to music 1 hour a day a week reduced symptoms of depression by 25%. Music, especially classical music, can cut stress dramatically. Anxious about an upcoming meeting or project? Listening to Pachelbel’s famous Canon in D helps avoid anxiety and lowers heart rate and blood pressure. Music can also elevate mood, improve immune system function, reduce fatigue and improve self-acceptance in people. (Journal of Advanced Nursing study)
3. Screaming kids in the car? Vanilla oil soothes restless children. It has a positive impact on the limbic center of the brain, which controls emotion, according to Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. A few drops on the wrists of a child can transform a cranky, whiny child into one who is happy and laughing. Try this on your next road tri .
4. Eat walnuts to cut your stress and treat depression. Harvard Science Review published a study citing that walnuts are powerful antidepressants! Pistachio nuts cut inflammation, lower cholesterol levels, and improve your body’s response to stress. Just 1.5 ounces of pistachios provides a boost of energy and can slow the absorption of carbohydrates when eaten together.
5. Soak your legs to cut your stress and sleep better. A study from the Journal of Physiological Anthropology found that women who soaked their legs up to their knees in hot water for 30 minutes slept better than those who did neither. No time for a bath? Try running warm water on your wrists.
“Stress spelled backwards is desserts.” Loretta Laroche
Yes, we live in a stressful world. But there are dozens of small things you can do today to cut your stress and the stress of others. Try these and let me know how they work for you.