Are You on the Edge of Burnout?
Burnout is fast becoming a major problem all over the world. Japan has a term called “death from overwork” (karoshi) and over 30,000 deaths have been attributed to it. Americans work even longer than the Japanese. According to the American Psychological Association, 60% of work absences are due to issues such as layoffs, longer work hours, stress and burnout. This accounts for $57 billion of economic loss in lost productivity and health care costs.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health revealed that a 1/4- 1/3 of all workers have high job stress and are used up at the end of the day. With increased layoffs and competition, work hours have increased substantially and fear of job loss has doubled.
Our responsibility as leaders, professionals, parents and influencers in the lives of those around us is to take care of ourselves. On their death bed, no one ever said “I wish I had worked more.” Take the time to take care of yourself, use stress management to stay healthy, and your people and you’ll stay Fired Up! that much longer. Take this burnout test and see how high your stress levels are.
Take The Stress Management Test and See
Burnt- Out Quiz- Stress Management Test
© Snowden McFall
Check any that apply to you right now:
- You come home regularly dead-tired with little or no energy.
- You stay awake at night thinking about all the things you have to do.
- The concept of vacation is inconceivable to you- you have way too much to do to go away.
- You don’t have time to exercise regularly or participate in your favorite hobbies.
- You don’t have time for masasges, haircuts, or personal care like doctor’s and dentist’s appointments.
- You snap at your loved ones and co-workers fairly often.
- You have very little patience with others and expect them to work as hard as you do.
- You are very critical, especially of yourself.
- You feel your life is out of control.
- You eat on the fly, often junk or fast food.
- You don’t like change and wish things were like the way they used to be.
- You feel unappreciated, unloved and undervalued.
If you checked 5 or more, you could be heading towards burnout.
©2013, 2000 Snowden McFall All Rights Reserved