Beat the Stress of Winter Blues
For over two decades, I lived in New England and battled the grey, cold, snowy winters every year. Then I moved to Florida where we have sunshine regularly- I love the sun! I have been infinitely happier. Not only because I prefer warmth, but because all that grey depressed me. And lately we have been having Northeasters in Florida which create similar grey days. Enough to give me the blues.
And I’m not the only one. About 1/2 of all Americans report feeling depressed in winter. Seasonal affective disorder can cause energy loss, grumpy moods and carb craving.
“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” Steve Martin
How to Beat the Winter Blues
• Go outside. Yes- even if it is cold out, spending time in nature boosts your mood. Try 20 minutes a day without sun block. (After that, slather up.) Many people are deficient in Vitamin D3, which you normally get from the sun. This vitamin is critical to your overall health and mood. Consider taking D3 supplements and have your doctor test your levels. I get it in liquid form.
• Take vacations in the winter to someplace warm
• Try light therapy with a 10,000 lux lamp – 30 minutes a day significantly boosts mood and energy
• Exercise- A most powerful mood booster made even better when you do it with others. Socializing helps you feel better.
• Use aromatherapy. Peppermint boosts alertness, as do orange and lemon scents.
• Do something you love every day.
Remember, unless you live in Alaska, winter is only a few months long. Take care of yourself and get Fired Up!
Kindly share this post if you liked it.
Sign up for free tips on success, marketing, happiness and stress relief. http://www.firedupnow.com/kindlings
©2015 Snowden McFall All Rights Reserved. You may share this post and reprint with author reference and copyright.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin